These kababs have become a staple in our family. They are so quick and easy to make. They don’t last more than a day in our house. I tend to use ground chicken breast but you can use any minced meat. When people eat it, they ask me how I made it. I tell them the secret ingredient is… softened butter. The butter serves to help keep the chicken breast moist by self basting when cooking and it helps bind the meat without using bread crumbs. Technically, I have 2 secret ingredients. The second one being dried, minced onion. It also helps with binding because the dried onions eat up all the moistness in the chicken. It adds an amazing flavor. Traditionally, seekh kababs are made on skewers ( known as seekh) but since I don’t have the time or patience for that, I just shape them into logs. Here is the recipe:
Easy Peasy Chicken Seekh KababsPrint Recipe
- 1.5 lbs ground meat (I use chicken breast)
- 2 tbs butter, softened (DO NOT MELT)
- 1/4 cup minced, dry onion (you can find it in the spice aisle of your grocery store)
- 3 tbs chopped cilantro
- 1.5 tbs garlic paste (If you don't have, make paste out of 2 cloves garlic)
- 1 tsp ginger paste (If you don't have, use 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 tsp red chili powder ( I prefer Kashmiri. It is less spicy and adds a better flavor. You can also substitute paprika if you don't like spicy)
- 1.5 tsp garam masala (can be found in the spice aisle of your grocery store)
- 1-2 green chili, minced (optional)
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish, (optional)
Place ground meat in a bowl.
Make sure you dry any excess water from meat with a paper towel. This will keep your seekh kebabs from falling apart.
Add all ingredients and mix. I like to use my hands.
Once all ingredients have been incorporated, take a little bit of meat mixture and pan fry. I do this to make sure all seasoning are correct. Adjust if you need to.
Once you have your seasonings set, shape into logs using your hands. If it sticks, add a little water to the palms of your hand to prevent sticking.
Heat up grill on high for 5 -10 minutes or use a grill pan. Lower heat to medium high and place seekh kebabs on grill/pan.
Cook for approx. 10 minutes, turning as you go.
It is cooked once there is no pink.
Garnish with cilantro.